After the finding of five gravestones with Latin inscriptions during agricultural work in 1985, ca. 1 km south of Cerrione, the necropolis was excavated in 1994/1995 and 1998–2002. On 1500 m² of sloping ground, the excavations uncovered 214 cremation graves and 81 stone markers, of which an unusually high number (60) are inscribed in either the Lepontic or the Latin alphabet. The necropolis was in use between the beginning of 1st century BC and the advanced 3rd century AD; the stelae inscribed in the Lepontic alphabet come from the north-western sector and the oldest phase (phase 1, 100–40 BC). The associated settlement has not so far been found, but its establishment around 100 BC is thought to be connected with the foundation of nearby Eporedia and the Roman exploitation of the Salassian gold mines of la Bessa, at whose south-eastern end the necropolis lies. For details see Brecciaroli Taborelli 2011b and the contributions in Brecciaroli Taborelli 2011: 61–270, as well as Cresci Marrone & Solinas 2013: 11–24.
|Brecciaroli Taborelli 2011
||Luisa Brecciaroli Taborelli (ed.), Oro, pane e scrittura. Memorie di una comunità "inter Vercellas et Eporediam" [= Studi e ricerche sulla Gallia Cisalpina 24], Roma: Edizioni Quasar 2011.
|Brecciaroli Taborelli 2011b
||Luisa Brecciaroli Taborelli, "La necropoli", in: Luisa Brecciaroli Taborelli (ed.), Oro, pane e scrittura. Memorie di una comunità "inter Vercellas et Eporediam" [= Studi e ricerche sulla Gallia Cisalpina 24], Roma: Edizioni Quasar 2011, 61–88.
|Cresci Marrone & Solinas 2013
||Giovannella Cresci Marrone, Patrizia Solinas, Microstorie di romanizzazione. Le iscrizioni del sepolcreto rurale di Cerrione, Venezia: Edizioni Ca' Foscari 2013.